I wish I had a garden...but alas, the bunnies and 'Chuck' ( our resident woodchuck ) make it nearly impossible. Sooo, I must rely on the kindness of friends, local produce markets, and Debbie Meyer GreenBags.
I found a couple of easy, quick, and good recipes for some of that bumper crop of zucchini you're going to be staring at soon.... they are low fat AND low cal, go figure. Never fear, I also have some lovely bread recipes I will share so you can hide the beast from non-zucchini lovers and catch them unaware :p
ZUCCHINI LATKES ? servings
4 cups shredded zucchini
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup snipped fresh parsley
2 slightly beaten eggs
1/3 cup matzo meal
1 tsp lemon-pepper seasoning
low fat sour cream ( optional )
1) In a large bowl, combine zucchini and salt; let stand for 30 minutes. Strain excess liquid from zucchini.
2) return zucchini to bowl..add parsley, eggs, matzo meal, and lemon-pepper seasoning; mix until combined.
3) In a large skillet heat a little cooking oil. Drop zucchini mixture by tablespoons into the hot oil to form 3 inch latkes. cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown, turning once. Remove and keep warm. Repeat with remaining mixture, serve warm w/ sour cream if so desired. I eat mine w/salsa, but I am weird lol
Feel free to tweak seasonings to your own taste if you find these too bland. :)
Make a head directions: Prepare latkes as directed; cool. Place on a baking sheet in a single layer, freeze until firm. Place frozen latkes in a freezer bag/container, seal. Freeze up to 4 weeks. To serve, place on a baking sheet, heat in a 450 degree oven for 7-10 minutes.
18 calories, 1 gram fat (0 sat)
ZUCCHINI A LA ROMANO 6 servings
2 gloves garlic
2 tsp olive oil
4 cups sliced zucchini ( 4-5 small..1 honking )
1 TBS. snipped fresh mint OR basil ( or 1 tsp of either/or of the dried )
1/4 tsp salt
2 TBS. finely shredded Romano cheese ( can substitute parmesan )
1) In a large skillet, cook the whole garlic cloves in hot oil until light brown, then discard garlic. Add zucchini, basil ( or mint ), salt to the oil in the skillet.
2) Cook, uncovered, over meduim heat about 5 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. To serve, sprinkle with the cheese.
35 cals, 2 grams fat